Knight (Unfinished Hero, #1)

Knight (Unfinished Hero, #1) - Kristen Ashley All righty. First off, I would not recommend this for first time readers of Kristen Ashley. In my humble opinion, if you don't like her other men, Knight may not be a likeable character.From the first of the book, I was hooked on Knight. He had the angry, brooding dominant male vibe going on, and quickly showed his protective side when taking care of Anya during the opening scene. The protectiveness snowballed until he basically takes care of life's problems for her, over and over again. It's enough to make me say, "Awww!" Their budding relationship was so much fun to read about. Anya's used to being on her own, taking care of her own business, and rolling with the punches. Knight decides that she flat out deserves more. I had heard the controversy over the Daddy word during sex scenes. I personally don't find it at all sexy. But surprisingly, it didn't really bother me in Knight. It didn't take away from the eroticism in any way. For this being her first foray into true erotica/romantica, KA did a smokin' hot job. There was even a bit of bdsm action going on, but only a bit. I really like the way it was written, too. Not over the top, probably not really even considered bdsm for hard core readers of the genre. It was playful, tasteful, and well away from painful or humiliating. Anya's 'punishments' were well away from icky.Now, on to why I gave this three stars. I really, really loved the first eighty percent of Knight. This is what nearly ruined the book for me: Knight is a pimp. He has fifty seven women that he takes money from in exchange for his 'protection.' For the first eighty percent of the book, Anya knew nothing about this. After a ten page explanation, Anya seems perfectly fine that fifty seven women sell their orifices to the highest bidder and give a portion of the money to Knight in order to not be raped and beat up by their johns. Knight's excuse? His mother was a prostitute, and as a six year old child, he had to clean her up numerous times after her numerous rapings and beatings. So he's actually doing these women a favor and keeping them safe. And Anya just says, "Thank you for being honest with me. I'm afraid a building will fall down on my head. That's MY big secret." She's just okay knowing that the new Mercedes she's driving was bought with money that was made by other women sleeping with strangers.Really, to be honest, all of the last 20-30% of the book just pissed me off. No happily ever after here. Knight doesn't believe in the institution of marriage. Mo matter that Anya is Catholic. He also doesn't celebrate holidays. Not for religious purposes, but just because he doesn't believe in them. What's not to believe about Thanksgiving? Basically, I felt that Anya gave up sooo much of herself in order to be with Knight in the end. Despite his sometimes over the top use of the word fuck and the way he calls her friends bitches (not derogatory, just everyday language) I felt as if the last bit showed a lack of respect for both women and Anya in particular. There are some lines you don't cross. And in the end, I don't think that he was honorable. I think he was selfish, and Anya was a bit of a doormat.That being said, the epilogue was epic, and saved this book from being ruined for me. It ended on a beautiful note.