Deadly Heat

Deadly Heat - Cynthia Eden Another winner from Cynthia Eden...this is everything I love about Romantic Suspense. An intense story, a strong woman, an even stronger man, and a whodunnit that kept me guessing until the end.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"He liked to watch the fire. When it danced, it was the most beautiful thing he’d ever seen. Sensual, like a lover."~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~MY SYNOPSIS:Firefighter Lora Spade is no stranger to fire...or to loss. She's got scars from the flames that left marks on her body and on her heart after losing her lover and fellow firefighter six months ago in a blaze set by a serial arsonist that is still at large.Special Agent Kenton Lake is the FBI agent sent to investigate the arsonist, and he meets Lora when she forces him out of a burning house. Kenton is pissed that his witness is still inside the house, and Lora is pissed that he's too cocky to realize when he's in danger. Sparks fly from the very beginning, and it only gets hotter between these two. The ordeal is obviously very personal for Lora...she's dealt with death often in her profession, but holding her lover in her arms while he dies left a huge scar on her heart...and she's not ready to let Kenton in. However, she IS ready to let Kenton into her bed. These two give in to baser urges very quickly. All the while, they are chasing a man who's sick, twisted form of justice seems to culminate in the grisly death of his victims...death by burning. He picks people that he deems guilty and lets the fire judge them. But he enjoys his judgement just a little too much. MY THOUGHTS:While this story was not quite as intense as the first book, it was a little sexier, in my opinion, Kenton and Lora have mad chemistry and few inhibitions, so there isn't a lot of angsty will we or won't we going on. The answer to that was a resounding YES WE WILL!! And though they fight fires set by someone else, when these two set the fire, they really heat up the place (ahahahahaha!!! Cheese factor, yes, I know...I had to)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~“I’ve been dying to know,” he said again, “how you taste.”Oh, hell. Her right hand grabbed the back of his head, and she yanked him down toward her.Their mouths met. Open. Ready. Lips kissed. Tongues licked. And—damn!Yes, she wanted.The control she’d held so tightly began to crack. She jerked in her seat, struggling to press against him. He took her mouth. Tasted her. Tormented her. And she met him. No, she fought him, fought him for more. “~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~This killer gets more and more sadistic the longer the story goes on, and although Eden refrains from detailing the brutal deaths, the situation definitely alludes to some pretty grisly scenes, so this is not for the faint of heart. But that is a unique element to this series, and one that makes it stand out. I'd compare it somewhat to Christy Reece's writing...she also has some pretty horrific images left in my head after reading her books. But the romance here was a little too quick for my taste...I'm not sure exactly the time frame we're talking about here, but I'd think less than a couple of weeks, and these two are head over heels...that's just unbelievable. I thin what made the first book work was the “second chance” love story going on there, and that wasn't the case with Kenton and Lora. Still, the epilogue gives me reason to think that some time passes, plus it gives some much needed insight into Hyde, the leader of the SSI team's past. I'm so hoping that Eden will continue this series...it truly has a lot of room to grow, a lot of characters that still have a story to tell! It seems like she's set up something for Ramirez, so I'm hopeful.