Ruthless

Ruthless - Yeesh, I'm not sure what to say! Any book with this many ups and down that can maintain the feeling of real emotions is a winner for me. It's not what I expected. There are really no hearts and flowers here. Rohan is absolutely ruthless, and did some really crappy things. There's really not a lot of reason behind his lifestyle. Truly, his one redeeming quality seems to be his obsession/infatuation with Elinor. I really did love her. Her very existence has been spent taking care of her makeshift 'family.' Everything she does is simply to survive and to protect her sister. She is such an admirable heroine, with real substance. I loved that this story didn't gloss over the desolation of the era for those who weren't rich. No holds barred here! When we first meet Elinor, she is literally starving to death. So this wasn't a frou frou novel, all light and fluffy. It also wasn't quite as depraved as I assumed it would be. Sure, there was definitely tons of innuendo and suggestions of sinful sexual acts between men and women (and men and men, and women and women!) But it was fairly low-key. When all was said and done, this was a fantastic book. Completely unexpected, very emotional at times, and it also made me angry. But it's 1:00 in the morning, and I'm debating on whether to pick up the next in the series. So, for what it's worth, I do believe that I loved it!