On the Banks of Plum Creek  - Laura Ingalls Wilder, Garth Williams This seems to be the favorite book of the series so far, both for my three daughters and me. There are a lot of changes again for the Ingalls family. They live in an underground house at first, which is a story all on its own. Plum Creek makes for many happy times for Laura and Mary...and a few scary experiences.All seen from the eyes of an eight year old American girl, this entire series is one that I couldn't possibly let my girls not read. I remember these from when I was a kid, and rereading them with my daughters has been such a joy. Truly, there is magic in words. No movie or cartoon can elicit the wonderment that these books have. There are some intense scenes involving Pa and quite a bit of hearbreak when it comes to his newest ventures growing wheat. Locust plagues strike and Pa's livelihood is threatened. But what a great moral lesson for kids in this day of instant gratification!! To realize just how poor this family is....it's pretty bad, folks....was a big eye opener.Another beautiful story by Laura Ingalls Wilder. We are all looking forward to the next one!!