Glory in Death - J.D. Robb I know this is first and foremost a murder mystery series but I can't stop thinking about Roarke. Let me get those pesky details out of the way and then commence the gushing, mnkay?So the opening scene is once again Eve being called to the scene of a grisly murder. The chick's throat is slashed....blah blah....suspect must hate women...blah...Eve is super duper intuitive...blah, blah blah blah...lots of rich society people.....blah...reporters, policemen and detectives. There! Necessary info out of the way. On to the REAL story...ROARKE! (No last name necessary or even given.)Amidst the current craze of billionaire playboy BDSM Master alpha men sits this little talked about, perfection personified, wet dream of a man. He needs no flash or pomp. His studious nature and calm, controlled demeanor make him one of the most stable and self assured male characters I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. In book one, he is intrigued by Eve. She's delicate without seeming so, and while the world sees a tough bitch detective, Roarke sees the woman beneath.What woman wouldn't fall in love with him right then and there? Panties. Gone.All of these wannabe mind reading alphas need to take lessons from Roarke. He doesn't spend his energy convincing his woman that he knows her soul, he proves it to her in countless ways, in mundane acts, in thoughtless nuances. It's not an obvious obsession but a lasting love that he exhibits. He secretly keeps a button that fell off her ugly suit jacket as a romantic memento. And he lets her live her life as the same Eve as before Roarke, only now she is a protected, loved, secure Eve. Better than before because she knows that he's there for her. What a hero! What a man!