The Giver

The Giver - Lois Lowry An interesting dystopian novel...from before the times of Hunger Games and Divergent. The overall tone is very melancholy, with a subtle tension that ratchets up a little more with each page, finally culminating in a big reveal. It's message is to celebrate differences in one another, and that in order to have real joy and happiness, you must also have pain and sorrow."Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back."Growing up in a world of same-ness, Jonas knows no other way. Until he starts receiving the lost bits of life, the parts that are too extreme to be felt in this society. Even unimaginable horrors are perceived as a normal practice, a way to preserve their way of life...there is no emotion, no love, no hate, no pain or fear. Now Jonas is learning what has been withheld from him his whole life. This is an odd book, and the ending was one of those philosophical cliffhangers...I think I'm supposed to make up my own mind about what happens. I really despise those kinds of ending. I feel like the book is a waste of time if there is no conclusion to a story that I come to invest me emotions in. I had thought about reading this with my ten year old daughter but I'm glad now that I didn't. There is a part in this book that is very disturbing. Some ten year olds may be fine with it, but I think it would really bother mine...she's a tenderhearted little thing. So fair warning: maybe for mid to older teens, in my opinion.