Club Shadowlands (Masters of the Shadowlands, #1)

Club Shadowlands (Masters of the Shadowlands, #1) - Cherise Sinclair All right, I'll begin by saying that while I'm fairly new to the BDSM scene, I thought that I had a fairly good idea as to what to expect. I've never felt uncomfortable with anything that I've read thus far in the erotica/BDSM genre. Seems to me that most of the authors that I've read have been very careful to give the sense of a very distinct line between consent and non-consent. Hence safe words and constant reassurance. I definitely did not get that from this book. I was really uncomfortable with a couple of scenes here. I was also very surprised that I've never read a single review that alludes to what happens in the first 'scene' between Master Z and Jessica. Jessica is given no safe word, and not even the illusion of a choice in the matter. I can't say its rape, as there isn't actual sex, but it's definitely a violation. Its apparent that she doesn't know what's happening, and that she doesn't want it to continue. If I'd been her, I'd have run far, far away once the restraints were gone. But no, this little uptight accountant...comes back for more?! WTF?!So, for THAT part of the book, this is a 1 star. For the rest, a 5 star. Aside from that, I really enjoyed the rest of the book. Master Z was actually kind of a romantic figure amid the leather and lace. Vulgar, he was not. He went from being this extremely controlled Dom - the biggest and baddest Master of the Shadowlands - to a gentle, understanding teddy bear who loves to snuggle. The mind reading thing kind of threw me. Is he really a mind reader - as in telepathic - or simply good at reading people? The world may never know. But I did feel the connection between Z and Jessica. Of course, I think a lot more could have evolved between the two of them if their relationship had more room to grow. Basically, I was really torn. I was really, really uncomfortable at first. If I could forget about that first encounter, I would have really liked this. I don't know if I've just gotten lucky with these types of books that I've read so far. I'm really hoping this isn't the norm. I have enjoyed the trust level that is there between D/s. The connections is tangible and makes the extras that much more titillating. That's seemed to be a major highlight of this type of book, but it wasn't there in this one, as far as I'm concerned.