The Dark and Hollow Places (Forest of Hands and Teeth Series #3)

The Dark and Hollow Places - Carrie Ryan I feel like I’ve been through an emotional wringer for the last two evenings. If you’re looking for a feel good zombie book with a happy ending to the horror filled flesh eating monster series, do not look here. At no point in the reading of this entire series have I ever had happy feelings. That being said, this is a series that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Maybe I shelter myself with romance too often. In my endless search for literary escape, do I miss out on these thought provoking gems? Even if that’s the case, I just don’t think I could handle the gut wrenching hopelessness that permeates the Forest of Hands and Teeth series. I don’t really want to think of how I would react to the last days of my life, or what I would do if my husband or heaven forbid, children…tried to eat me. Ms Ryan is an amazing author. Truly, the thoughts she must have in her head to be able to come up with this entire world, the characterization and imagery that she creates is stunning. No matter how much I say I don’t ever read this type of book, I have to give props to her. She is an artist with words, painting a vivid dystopian society that feels so real! I swear I heard moans coming from my front porch, and New York City really IS being swallowed by the horde of Unconsecrated. Someone better check on that.What would humanity do if they were in this situation? Is this what people turn into? Those in power preying on the weak, building cities just so they can control, rape, murder? It’s a scary world to live in, and I’m so very angry that the bad guys don’t get what they deserve. The torture that they dish out is atrocious. They prey on the weak, and Anna’s inner good girl made me want to shake her. Doesn’t she deserve justice? Don’t the other victims deserve some form of retribution? Buck up, little girl! The horrors taking place around you, the inhumanity of the humans who are meant to protect you needs to stop! That bothered me more than anything else.The ending, I’m sure everyone knows by now, if they’ve read any other reviews, is wholly dissatisfying. I felt like Mrs. Ryan just…got tired of writing escape attempts. So she tack on a paragraph or two that screams “THE END” and left it at that. Don’t her readers DESERVE some form of happy? Or at the very least some sort of finality? Something, ANYTHING to give us a hint as to what this struggle has all been for? No, we don’t. I wish we did. I could have given this the fifth star. As it is, I’m so very angry right now that I can’t think straight. I want to rant and rant and pitch a fit. But I shall refrain and move on with my life. I almost hope there isn’t another book, because I know I’d feel like I have to read it. How amazing that a person can bring out these emotions in so many readers. What a fabulous accomplishment and what a great job she did. Bravo to Carrie Ryan. Now write a freaking epilogue!!